THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pea Patrol

Today was a really nice day.  After church I headed out to the pea patch to do a little pea patrol.  I don't use self supporting pea varieties, so I need to physically weave the tops of the peas through the fencing.  There are other problems I look out for too.  Like-

Flower petals that are stuck to the new pods...


In dry or windy country you don't need to worry about this, but when you are gardening in a rain forest it is a definite problem.  I lost a lot of pods last year to rotten tips, so I just make it a point once a day to walk down the row and pull all the flower petals off. 

The tendrils just fascinate me!



 But when I find one that is holding a growing tip down I fix it....


I just break or move the tendril and the tips pops up....




Sometimes a growing tip gets hung up on the rusty fencing.  As it grows taller it will eventually break, so I fix that too....


Sometimes the blossom branch goes on one side of the fencing and the growing tip goes on the other....


Most of the growing happens at the tip, but the rest of the plant grows a little too,  so if I didn't pull this branch through it would probably break.

Normally I plant my peas an inch apart...and on BOTH sides of the fence.  I had a fair amount of mold and stuff the past couple of years so this year I decided to space them better.  More like 3 inches apart on ONE side of the fence.  Mr. Adams is not impressed with the patch this year...he thinks it looks too sparce, but I lost so many pods last year to mold that I think this will be better.  I can see that most of the plants are branching out nicely.  You can see little growing tips at the base of each of the leaves on this plant...


Sometimes less is more.  Time will tell.

I love the way water beads up on the pea leaves...


Even though our sunflowers are stunted this year I am happy to see that a few of them that I planted in the pea row survived...


Some of the peas are taller than me now.  When I think they are tall enough I top them.  Did you know that the tops are delicious?  They taste like pea pods and make a great addition to salads!  Usually only the top 5 inches or so of the tip is tender.


Lucy sure enjoyed the weather today!


She overheats easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment