THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Sunday, July 1, 2012

It's Hardly Raining Today

Just a continuous sprinkle today.  Not too bad, but the bugs were sure bad.  Who came up with the "Bounce" dryer sheet idea to repel bugs?  I tried it and didn't think it really worked.   

The good news is that after church, Mr. Adams helped me get the new weed eater going and I was able to finish the road side job.


It looks nicer when you are driving by our place now.  The new weed eater is really powerful...I could do some damage with that thing.

I was happy to see a lot of bees in the raspberry patch today.  Brave little bumblebees!  I was beginning to be afraid that because it has been raining so much they wouldn't be able to get out to pollinate the raspberries for me.  We don't have honeybees in Sitka, so we are glad to have a good population of bumblebees. 


I don't know where these little guys live the rest of the year, but when the raspberries are in bloom there are HUNDREDS of bees in the patch, working away.  It's almost scary to walk in the area!

The garlic plants are putting out their scapes.  I sell scapes for 50 cents a piece.  They are SO delicious chopped up in stir fries! 


I wish I had a field of garlic!


No comments:

Post a Comment