THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Friday, July 6, 2012

It's Not 100 Degrees Here

Just another drizzly day.  I weeded some more in the carrot bed.  I do about 1/8 of the row each time I work on it and have just one more session to go.  I am not happy with the spacing and am reseeding but I don't think there is enough time left in the season to get mature carrots.  Oh well, next year I will do a better job.

I had another gift basket order today.  It turned out beautiful except for the flower arrangement.  I am just terrible at arranging flowers.  I wanted to use the poppy, the first one to open this year, but it looks lost.  Oh well, it's full of all sorts of goodies!


Tomorrow is the first Farmer's Market of the season.  I plan to attend and will be closing the garden down for the day.  Usually I stay open and have Levi watch it for me, but he is getting his wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow!!!  Ouch!

Packman broccoli is ready...


Packman is an early variety that has small heads.  It comes earlier than the other varieties and produces nice side shoots.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the head has high spots and low spots so it can get rotten spots easily if the weather is disagreeable.  This particular head has a few bad spots so it is now dinner.  What can I say, the family gets the culls. These greens are culls too...


Pretty nice culls!

No comments:

Post a Comment