THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

On To The Next Project

There was rain in the forecast for today, so I was very surprised to wake up and see it was nice outside!  It didn't rain all day! 
First thing this morning my sweet gardening friend, Diana, came to help me transplant tomatoes.  She makes it an annual date to come for a day and help garden while we catch up on what is going on in our lives.  And she brought me cookies!!!  Wasn't that nice?



Although she is standing outside to do the transplanting these tomatoes did not stay outside.  We hauled them back in the sunroom when the dirty work was done. 
 While she was here I ran the rototiller down a row and some of the ducks came running, so Diana snapped a photo for me.

 
After Diana left I started in on the next project.  I was dreading starting a new project after the last one ended up taking so much longer than expected, but so far this one is going better than I thought it would.  
Sometime during the past year I told another good friend, Monique, that I was thinking about building a pea "tunnel"  instead the fence I normally use.  I told her that I was thinking about using concrete reinforcement wire to build the tunnel. Since I have a small garden I think I should grow tall pea varieties to produce as many pounds per square foot as possible.  Tall fences are hard to build and move each year and they have a tendency to sag when loaded with peas so I got this idea to build a tunnel.  Well...one day about a week or two ago she was headed out to my place and she was following a pickup that was heading to the scrapyard and it had a roll of wire in the back.  She remembered that I was looking for some wire, so do you know what she did?  She followed that truck all the way to the scrap yard and asked if they would let me have the wire, and oh, by the way, could they drive it back to my place and unload it into my yard?  And they did!  What a friend!   


It's pretty rusty and actually fairly weak in spots, but once in place with plenty of zip ties it feels really strong!  It was 8:30 pm by the time I quit working outside, and the fence is not quite done, but even though these photos are kind of dark you can get an idea what it's going to look like.



It has a few flaws, but overall I think it is going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment