THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Frost On An Owl

Warm, beautiful, sunny days lead to chilly, frosty nights this time of year, so there was a fair amount of frost this morning when we got up to take the boys down to the boat. 


They planned to leave the harbor at 7:30 am to catch the tides just right, but there was some sort of carburetor problem with the little diesel heater in the salon that demanded immediate attention...

 
Boats have a way of suddenly having problems...there are so many components!  Electrical systems, propulsion systems, electronic systems, sanitation systems, hydraulic systems, safety equipment, all the typical household appliances, and much, much more.  A boat captain really needs to be a jack-of-all-trades to keep things running smoothly. 
Once things seemed under control they cast off the lines and were underway.  Destination - Kake, Alaska,
where they will pick up the hunters to begin hunting.

 

Levi and I then hit the garage sales, but we didn't find any treasures this time.  We had breakfast at the local coffee shop and then headed for home.
The boat will be out of town for 3 weeks and I have a lot to do before it comes back - when it does it will be my turn to get on board and do the cooking. Today I transplanted kale and beets.


 This was my first year starting beets indoors.  I heard of someone else doing it last year and they had beets really early so I thought I would try it. 



It was WONDERFUL to have the bed fenced in!  The ducks kept pecking at the seaweed peeking through the chicken wire, but they couldn't touch the transplants and I was able to work calmly and efficiently without their interference.  The row is now covered with floating row cover to protect if from frost and the cover is weighted down with seine net to keep it from blowing away.  Good work, but I will really need to step it up to get everything done in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment