THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Monday, April 23, 2012

It's A Thing Of Beauty, It's A Beautiful Thing

That is something Mr. Adams and I always say.  One of us will say, "It's a thing of beauty!"  And the other will say in reply, "It's a beautiful thing!"  I am not sure how we got started saying it, but that is exactly how I feel about my magnificent carrot row.  It is finally done!  


And I am happy to report that a few bumblebees buzzed me as I was putting on the finishing touches!


It's now covered with net too.  The plywood ends are temporary until I get swinging gates built...someday.

The day started out very rainy.  I looked at the forecast on the computer and it looked like it would clear off in the afternoon, so I kept busy indoors until it stopped raining.  It did sprinkle once in a while, so when I seeded the carrot row I gave the seeder a shower cap...


I don't think you are supposed to use a seeder in wet conditions but hey, what's a girl to do? 
I am having trouble trusting the seeder....it uses so much less seed than I usually use, and you can't see the seeds going into the ground.  I practice over the table, but it's not 100% accurate with those odd shaped carrot seeds.  I ran the seeder over most of the bed twice because I am so nervous.  I know, probably a big mistake! 
Carrots are a very popular crop here at the u-pick.  Growing them here makes them so sweet that they taste like candy!  I sell them for 20 cents a piece.  That puts the burden on the customer to be sure and pick the biggest ones.  If I would sell them by the pound then kids would pick handfuls of them and they would kill too many for the poundage. 

It wasn't as strenuous of a day as I've been putting in lately but just as long and equally productive.  It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment