THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mocking Bee

One of my gardening friends here in Sitka uses natural signs to tell her when to plant certain things.  One of those signs is that when she hears the first bumble bee of the season fly by she plants her carrots.  I thought that was so charming and planned to do it myself this year, so when I heard my first bumble bee a week or so ago I got really excited...unfortunately my carrot bed was not ready at the time...

                                                                                                         photo from 2004

 ...by now I have been buzzed by bumble bees about 7 or 8 times and I no longer find it charming.  They seem to be mocking me because I still do not have my carrot bed ready!  It gets really busy this time of year.  The seedlings are always ready at the same time, and it seems like I am always behind because I am  tinkering with different fencing designs or building beds.  I just have to take it a day at a time, a bed at a time and have faith it will all get done.

Today I was able to transplant Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli and tomorrow I hope to add the Cauliflower to the same row.


It was beautiful again for most of the day.  Actually, any day in Sitka when it is not raining is considered a beautiful day!


                                                                                                           photo from today

No comments:

Post a Comment