THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Day Of Rest

This morning the weather was SO nice!  After church I spent some time in the garden pulling weeds in the carrot patch.  The dirt in the carrot bed was sifted earlier in the spring, and when you sift dirt all the weed seeds come to the surface!  Carrots take a long time to germinate so it gives the weed seeds free reign to take over.  The weeds are THICK and I have been dying to weed the bed to see how close the seeder got the carrot seeds! 


Isn't that a crazy amount of weeds!?!?  Fortunately I don't mind sitting there in the sun pulling weeds.  It's like therapy.  I do alot of praying and talking to God in the garden while I weed.  It's amazing what you can hear and learn when you take the time to be quiet, ask questions and listen.

So far there aren't as many carrots as I would like to see...I like the carrots to be about 1-2 inches apart so I sprinkled some more seeds in the bare spots.  At least it wasn't a complete crop failure!



This variety is called, YAYA.   Maybe the other three varieties will look better.  At about 3:00 pm the winds of change blew in and the temperature dropped about 25 degrees!!!  It happened so fast! 

Well, the weather is back to normal I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment