THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wood Shop

The Sitka High School has an amazing wood shop!  And here is our amazing wood shop teacher, Randy Hughey..


Mr. Hughey is the most even tempered teacher I have ever met!  He just keeps the same expression on his face as he goes from student to student.  No matter how annoying or involved the problem might be he just remains objective and doesn't rush one student to get to the next.  
 


All sorts of interesting things have been built in this shop.

On Wednesdays from 3:00-5:00 the public is invited to use the shop for personal small projects.  Randy is there but he just supervises.  He isn't there to hold your hand or become your personal assistant, so you need someone with you that knows how to use the tools...that is why I took my boys with me!


They have both taken Mr. Hughey's class and know how to use all the tools!  Here is the pile of boards we are working on for paneling in Ben's room. 


 They are actually sold at Home Depot as cedar "fence pickets".  During previous trips to the shop we've sanded them, used the jointer to get one of the side straight, and then used the table saw to get the other side straight.  This week, once we got the okay from Mr. Hughey,  we used a dado blade to cut an overlap along the edges of the boards...



...and then routered a bevel...




Unfortunately we did not get them all done and had to bring them home for the summer.  Next school year I will have to take them back to finish the job.

On the positive side Levi finished his project for his class...a entertainment center for his room to hold all of his game systems and tvs build out of Black Walnut taken from my Dad farm.


  The picture makes it look crooked....but it's not.

  And here it is with everything in it


Good job Levi!

As far as the garden is concerned I did the minimum.  Gray and gloomy again

2 comments:

  1. Lori, boy have the boys gotten big. Where has time gone? Love your blog, keep up the great work! - my best to Dale!
    Mike Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. We're about ready to move to Sitka just for the wood shop!
    2. When you said "Levi's TVs" I thought maybe that was a typo...obviously it wasn't! Funny.
    3. Levi can build me something amazing out of black walnut anytime he wants. :)

    ReplyDelete