THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chim-Chimeny

The rain wasn't too obnoxious today, so I had Levi crawl up on the roof to sweep the chimney.


It really needed it!


And before you ask, I did not dump it in the compost, but even if I had it is so wet out it wouldn't have mattered!

The most exciting thing that happened today (besides getting the stove and stack cleaned out), was the manure delivery! 


This is Mike...he is my manure man!


He did a great job of backing the truck up to the back of the property to the new designated manure spot.




And he only got stuck once.  Hmmm, we may have to bring in some gravel before he brings any more.

The u-pick only made $4 today...a slow day.  My good friend Bonnie was one of the customers, she came to visit and buy some zucchini and while she was here she snapped my photo with my prize cabbage...

photo courtesy of Bonnie Richards
 
Isn't it beautiful!?!?!  I am so in love with this thing that I don't want to harvest it!  But harvest it I will...it is going into a basket that will be auctioned off at the Friends of the NRA banquet coming up this weekend.  I hope it doesn't have too many slugs in it! (note the new glasses, just got them today)

By the way, I have a row of the most beautiful purple cabbages that are immature and will likely not mature in time before winter sets in...if anyone knows of anyone getting married in the next month or two that like unusual things I think they would make the most beautiful bridal bouquets EVER...seriously...you have to see them to understand what I'm talking about (and they don't have any slugs in them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment