THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Friday, August 17, 2012

Blackberries!!

The second reason for my trip was to pick some blackberries.  They are my favoritest berries and we can't grow them in Sitka.  I just love their glossy blackness, their sweet deep flavor and their aromatic scent.

 
   I had some great helpers too....my Dad...


And my cousin Stacy.  We grew up together and are closer than cousins...more like sisters.  We mourn the fact that we don't live closer to each other since we have all the same interests and hobbies...


This photo cracks me up....I wonder what she is wondering?


We had a really nice time catching up with each others news and picked LOTS of blackberries.  The temperature was about 85 degrees....hot but bearable.  I loved it! 


When we picked all the berries we could reach we backed my dad's truck up into the berries and used it as a picking platform.


Back at Mom and Dad's house I froze them in bags to take home for jam, pies, cobbler and over icecream.


In fact, I am home right now and there is a blackberry pie in the oven!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures were very iffy. I am making a berry pie today as well. hope yours turns out great.

    ReplyDelete