THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Shouldn't Be Allowed To Own Animals

I have a reoccurring nightmare that I come home from a trip to find that I have animals that I have forgotten about and didn't arrange for anyone to give them food or water while I was gone.  They are dying and I am struggling to get them some food and water before they die.  They usually make it but just barely.  Well.....my dream has become my reality.  It happened like this....


A couple of days ago I clipped the ducks wings because some of them were getting too much air.  When I do this I always herd all the ducks into the inner hutch so I can catch them easier and shut the little trap door.  As I clip their wings I lift the door up and let them out one by one.


I always have trouble remembering to tie the trap door open when I'm done, but I usually remember within 24 hours.  The last couple of evenings when I locked the ducks in and added food to their feeder I was surprised at the amount of food left in the feeder....it was like they weren't eating any of it....wait a minute, they aren't eating any of the food....why not?  Why are they GOBBLING down the spent grain I throw out for them in the mornings?  Why are they quacking SO loud to get out in the mornings?  Hold it....the trap door is shut!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I felt SO bad!!!!  I've been feeding them in the evenings and all they could do was just look at the food through the fencing.  I felt horrible for a long time, but then I told myself to get over it and just try to do better.  They all made it...they are all still plump and happy. 


But really?   SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is a sad story!! one weekend we were going to be gone so arranged for a friend to come feed the dogs. I think we were gone for 2 nights. We got back and David called to ask how the dogs were...and the friend had forgotten to come! We felt so horrible that they hadn't gotten to eat for 3 days. :(

    ReplyDelete