THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Holy Goshawk!

Well, we had a little excitement today.....a hawk landed on the duck hutch and freaked out all the ducks!!


Sorry for the bad quality photo, but it's all I was able to get. Look at how all the ducks all piled into the pool...even Lucky!  You couldn't have packed them in tighter if you'd used a trash compactor.  They really see water as their safety zone.  I am so glad I hadn't let them out yet!  I had heard that some hawks have been eating some of the local fowl, but I had never seen any out here at our place.  Mr. Adams says that he never used to think there were any hawks in this country, but the last couple of years he has been seeing them more and more regularly.  I am not sure what type of hawk this was but he was impressive. Very sinister looking. He looks small in this photo but look at his size in comparison to the size of the ducks.  I think he was pretty big. You know, it is just always something when you are raising ducks....they are truly on the bottom of the food chain.

As for Lucky, he made it through the night, but the herd has not completely accepted him.  Except for when the hawk was lurking over the hutch he was in the dry hutch.....separating himself from the herd but looking longingly at them through the fencing.  He still limps, but is really doing great.  You have to be tough when you are a duck.

1 comment:

  1. Lori, I also seen a mourning dove in Sitka. He may have been an escapee though.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete