THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Friday, October 25, 2013

10 Random Tidbits

1. There's no one here to haul our wood anymore....


So now we have to haul it ourselves.

2. One day this summer when I was driving out the road I noticed this cloud over Mt. Edgecombe, our local extinct volcano....


Weird, huh?

3. I love dehydrated carrots. They are SO delicious!


But I prefer them at the "rubbery" stage and this particular batch went a little too long....they are kind of hard to chew....


4. When I travel anywhere in the lower 48 I notice that everyone's luggage looks pretty normal, the closer I get to home the more unusual it starts to look, and by the time I get to Sitka it's looks downright odd...


 ...here's MY luggage from the last trip I took.


5. A friend of mine recently gave me a Spiral Cutter for vegetables, so Mr. Adams and I took it out for a ride the other day and made some Zucchini "pasta".


Look how long this "noodle" turned out to be!


Zucchini pasta is SO DELICIOUS! You can't even tell it's not pasta!


6. Here's what Levi's room looks like right now....don't tell him.


Do you think he will be upset when he comes home for Thanksgiving vacation?

7. This is my Dad's pickup. He bought it on the day my little sister started Kindergarten.


Everybody in the valley recognizes it and wants it.

8. My neighbor has 2 ducks. They are Rouens - a large breed that look just like mallards, only larger. When I was out of town recently they wandered up to my place. The housesitter thought they were my ducks and called me while she frantically tried to herd them back inside the fence. "She said, they just don't want to go back in!"... which is strange for my ducks. They are always easy to herd because they want back in the safety zone. I told her, "That's weird....maybe they're not mine....are there 19 ducks inside the fence?" About that time she said,"Oh no, they just took off flying!" Well, then I KNEW that they weren't mine. One ended up inside the fence and one outside the fence.....oh dear...the neighbor showed up about that time to take care of the situation.


I still laugh once in a while when I think about her trying to "herd" the neighbor's ducks INTO my yard and her confusion when they didn't want to go!!

9. Mr. Adams' recent Sheep hunt in Colorado was really challenging...


Does that look like fun to you?

And finally....

10. I'll do almost anything to get a good photo for this blog.

photo courtesy of Carolyn Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment