THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tomato Plants Are Tough!

I have the bad habit of procrastinating.....I NEVER get my tomatoes planted early enough. It gets to be bear hunting time and the tomatoes will be languishing in 4 inch pots for months!  It's a good thing that tomatoes are tough. Here is what they looked like just last week........


That is a crime.

When I transplant tomatoes that are long and leggy I trim off all of the lower branches....


Put some dirt in the bottom of a large pot, lay the root "square" on top of the dirt, and curl the long stem around inside the pot up to the upper branches....


Sometimes the stem breaks, but most of the time it curls around without any trouble. (Note: I have tomato plants right now with broken stems....and as long as a portion of the stem stays connected the plant continues to live!) Maybe you have noticed that when a tomato plant stem touches the ground it grows roots and "plants" itself. Well, that's what the buried stem will do, it will sprout roots. Not all vegetable plants will do this.  (I KNOW, tomatoes are not a vegetable, they are a fruit......whatever)

Lastly, I fill the pot with dirt and it's ready to go!


Ha! It looks great and my ineptness is hidden!

This year, even I had to shake my head at myself though........look at how out of hand this variety got...


Some of them were 6 feet long, and I had to curl the stems into more than one loop


Even I think that is ridiculous.

Note to self : Transplant earlier next year!


1 comment:

  1. I have never seen that leggy of a tomato plant - planted. You will have to show us the results in a few weeks. THanks!

    ReplyDelete