THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

How To Harvest Lettuce......A Tutorial

A friend recently suggested that I post some tutorials on how to harvest vegetables here at the U-pick garden. I think it's a terrific idea, so every once in a while I will post one and copy it to a new tab labeled: "Tutorials".

My good friend, Lisa Ropp, who I have known since my earliest childhood, agreed to show us how to pick lettuce.


Thanks, Lisa!

Out here at the U-pick I grow only "cut-and-come-again" lettuce.....mostly leaf and romaine varieties. If harvested correctly, these varieties will provide 2-3 cuttings.


1. Select the lettuce plant you want to harvest and gather the entire plant together with one hand.


2. With the other hand, use a serrated knife to cut the entire plant off about 3 inches above the ground.


3. It's important not to cut the plant too low...if the heart is damaged the plant will not be able to produce more leaves.


4. Slice all the way through the plant being sure not to leave any leaves uncut, or damage any of the surrounding lettuce plants.


And that's it!


Lettuce was harvested from these plants just 2 days ago and look at how much they've grown back already!


Amazing!

When you cut leaf lettuce a white substance can be seen oozing from the cut edges. This substance is quite bitter, so for best taste results you should immerse the lettuce in a sink full of cold water as soon as you get home for at least 5 minutes to draw it out.

All of the greens here at the U-pick garden are $10.00 for a full grocery bag. Greens include: spinach, lettuce, kale, turnip and beet greens and arugula.



1 comment:

  1. Tutorials are a great idea! I'm always amazed at how quickly lettuce grows back.

    ReplyDelete