THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Take Time To Smell The Roses (aka pulling weeds)

It always amazes me how little time I actually get to spend working with plants. The bulk of my work activities involve amending soil, building beds, sterilizing pots, or working on some structural project. Now that the garden is officially open I have most of the "building" stuff done, and it's possible for me to slow down a little once in awhile and work with the plants. So it was with great pleasure that I sat down today on a bucket and pulled some weeds in the carrot bed. I noticed while I was sitting there how quiet it was (when cars weren't zooming by at full speed of course). I never notice the quiteness when I am busy scurrying around.  I could hear a veritable chorus of tweety birds that up until then I had not even noticed! There are a couple of Mourning Doves in the area, and I could hear them calling to each other. There was the stealthy "pitter-patter" of duck's feet as they worked the ground on the other side of the bed from me, and a steady hum in the air as the bumble bees busily pollinated the raspberry blossoms. Ahhhhhh......for me, weeding is like therapy.




I hope you get the chance to slow down a little too and "smell the roses."

No comments:

Post a Comment