THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Saturday, June 29, 2013

10 Random Tidbits

1. This plastic frog is one of my garden ornaments....


I got him at a garage sale, and I'm really quite fond of him.

At least once a day I find him like this....


The ducks just seem to feel compelled to look under him every day for the slight possibility that there is something to eat underneath him.

2. Levi is in Europe with his friend, Ryan....


I feel so bad for him.

3. Garlic scapes are delicious....I can't stop eating them.


 I made a pesto out of them and feel compelled to slather it on everything. I love having the residual taste of garlic in my mouth all day....it makes me feel like I've just eaten at Ludvigs. Garlic gives me a sense of well-being. Sometimes I even put it in my smoothie in the morning....don't knock it until you try it. It especially tastes good in a vanilla/almond based smoothie.


4. The weather has been so nice that the cat actually voluntarily spends quite a bit of time with me outside.


5. We get a lot of bike riders going by our house. Many of them are tourists taking bike tours. It is not unusual for them to exclaim over the ducks and/or my vegetable signs down by the road, "Oh, look at the ducks!" or "Honey, they're selling lettuce and peas!"  The bike riders rarely ever notice me because they are so focused on the ducks and/or signs, and I'm usually kneeling down somewhere in the garden, so I get to overhear all sorts of stuff. A couple of days ago an obviously British lady went bking by at a leisurely pace and she said in a sing-song, Mary Poppins voice, "Ello, ducks!.... Ello Radishes!" I was completely and utterly charmed.

6. It's not nice to sit in your food....


7. If you leave anything... I mean ANYTHING on the ground out in your garden in Southeast Alaska, there will be a slug underneath it....


8. Pink-Pink is still working hard to incubate the eggs.

(She has her head turned backwards with her beak tucked underneath her wing)

Today was the 28th day she's been on them. So far there is no peeping or movement underneath her even though I checked on her about a million times today. I can't wait to see 14 ducklings running around!

9. For about a week you couldn't go near the Raspberry patch because there were so many Bumblebees.....


The Raspberries are going to be AWESOME this year!

And finally....

10. I put fresh peppermint leaves in my chocolate smoothie yesterday and it changed my life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment