THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Planes, Trains And Autlomobiles

When you live in Africa, and you decide you want to take a trip down to the United States, nothing ever goes as you plan it. I had the best laid plans an African could have...........but,

The root of the problem this time was a mechanical problem in Ketchikan. Here is our trusty mechanic (who had to take a ferry over to the airport because -of course the airport is on an island), phone to his ear and manual on his lap...


Would this assure you or frighten you?

As you can image, I did not make my connection in Seattle, and unfortunately, United had a lot of delays across the nation that complicated everyone's travel plans...


So I found myself at the Seattle airport at about 1:00 pm and the best connection they could find me did not leave until 11:00pm. and Grand Forks?............forget about it..........they could only book me as far as Minneapolis this week........and I will arrive at 6:00 am. Fortunately they put me up in a hotel  in Seattle while I waited so I could try to get some sleep.......

All of this adds up to this.......I will fly all night, rent a car in the morning and drive 6 hours to get to the graduation a little late. Good thing I found this GREAT gardening magazine in the airport gift shop. I've never seen it before and I LOVE it.




On the negative side, I was recently informed by my sister, who shall remain nameless, that I dress weird. I think she phrased it, "Let's just say you have a style all of your own." Keeping this in mind I packed what I think are some "normal" clothes...........but you guessed it..........noone seems to know where my suitcase is.
I am going to show up there with bags under my eyes dressed in leggings, a miniskirt and felt clogs. Everyone is going to know I came straight from the jungles of Africa..........so much for trying to blend in

1 comment:

  1. You Africans are a crazy bunch! Sorry for your trip issues...I for one would not feel good about a pilot checking out the manual. Seems like he should be way beyond needing a manual.

    ReplyDelete