THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Picked Clean

When I visit other people's gardens, or look at their tables at the Farmer's Market, I am always jealous and depressed at how bad things look out at my place.  My produce is harvested the instant it is mature....and many times before! There is not a cucumber or tomato in the garden that is safe!  Just once it would be fun to see how big something could get.....

On the other hand...it feels so great to feed people, and to see kids picking vegetables and loving it. It's just hard to come to terms with having a garden that is always picked clean.

Broccoli heads:

Kale:

Zucchini:

Peapods:

Swiss Chard:

Lettuce:

 And Garlic Scapes....oh, how I mourn the loss of the Garlic Scapes..........

But then the eternally optimistic farmer inside of me says, "Whoa, wait a minute...look around you....there are more things maturing and the best is yet to come!"

More Broccoli heads and sprouts:

Cauliflower:

Radish pods:

More Peapods:

Raspberries:

Carrots....sweet, sweet, Carrots:

Fennel:

Leeks:

Cabbage:

More Zucchini:

Sunflowers:

Cucumbers:

And Tomatoes:

The U-pick garden is a well used little plot of ground.....it will never be a showcase garden. It's a place where kids step on plants and pick the wrong thing. It's a place where Carrots are picked when they are too small and Zucchinis don't reach foot long status. I will never win any blue ribbons at the fair or grace the cover of a glossy gardening magazine.....but I LOVE this little place......it feeds my heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment