THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Monday, July 22, 2013

More Random Tidbits

1. Mr. Adams and the crew left town on the boat this past weekend for some Summer work.....




Both of the boys are out of town too, so it's very quiet around here.

2. The fireweed is blooming.....they say once the blooms reach the top of the plants Summer is over.


It's quite true.


3. The Delphinium is in rare form this year....


4. A couple of weeks ago a little girl named Fiona was here with her family picking produce. We were discussing how fennel tastes alot like licorice, and how we both disliked licorice. I explained to her that when you cook it it tastes completely different....really delicious. Her mother harvested a fennel plant to take home, and as they were leaving I heard Fiona say, "I just can't WAIT until you get home and cook that fennel!"
When I overheard that I suddenly realized - that's why I was put here on this earth.

5. July is our rainiest month of the year....the Lord has been merciful.....the sun actually comes out once in a while!


6. I am now growing cedar kindling sticks....


Just kidding....I stuck them in the ground to stop the cat from digging in the garden....so far it's working.

7. I picked about 10 ripe raspberries this morning....


 The bushes are just LOADED with raspberries this year....they're going to be awesome!!!

.
8. The carrots are not quite big enough yet to pick....


But I'm a sucker, so I let the kids that visit the U-pick garden each pick one.  They're so delicious!

9. I'm still mourning the loss of the garlic scapes.....

photo courtesy of Psalm Oines

Psalm....go get a cheeseburger and a milk shake for crying out loud!

and....

10. The honeysuckle is blooming and its scent takes me way back. I don't know why, but it reminds me of my Grandma Schweitzer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment