THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

God Gave Me A Turnip!

The most amazing thing happened the day after I posted THIS ......

I was working out in the garden, and as I walked by a neglected  flowerbed, the sun came out and I saw something purple amongst the weeds....


"What in the heck is THAT?" I wondered...... I knelt down, pushed aside the weeds, and found....

An absolutely HUGE purple turnip!!!!


Without a blemish on it!  I was so flabbergasted I could hardly believe my eyes. It was like God said, "So she wants a large vegetable? I guess I can do that."  And there it was....hidden in the weeds where noone would see it to pick it....where it could just grow and grow!

So now the question has to be asked....what do you do with a giant turnip that God gives you? Enter it in the fair? Feed it to the hungry? Sell it? Put it in a gift basket? Let it grow to see how big it gets? Feed it to my family? Display it at the Farmer's Market?

Hmmmm....I don't normally face decisions like this. There's no question about whether or not to pick something in the U-pick business. At first I felt insanely happy....then I felt conflicted about what to do with it.....Maybe there is a lesson in this for me.... that my garden is not for pride or display, but to honor God and feed mouths and souls.

For now I think I will let it stay there to remind me to keep my priorities straight......

 AND SEE JUST HOW BIG IT CAN GET!!!

2 comments:

  1. make sure you eat it before a critter does.
    and I think it is a gift God gave YOU
    so it should be for YOUR enjoyment.
    Praise him with every bite or every time you look at it on display giving glory to God! You'll have to post again on what you decide to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!! That things is huge.

    ReplyDelete