THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Ducks Have Cold Feet

I look out my window from my toasty warm house and just marvel at how the ducks can withstand such cold weather and water...


There is always fresh water running in and out of their pond and the ducks are always messing around in the water so most days it stays thawed out just fine, but tonight it is supposed to get down to about 15 degrees, so I turned on the stock tank heater. 

One winter a duck got frozen to the ground....it's true!  The ducks are always splashing around in the pond, ans a duck sat down beside the pond and stayed there too long and the splashing water froze him to the ground.  I had read about this type of situation and knew what to do...I ran inside and got a watering can of warm water and ran back outside and started to pour it over the duck...eventually he worked his way loose and waddled away indignantly.  I feel like I have already told this story on the blog before, but it never stops being funny to me!


Can you spot the two males?  One of them is Lucky....the one on the left...just one of the gang!

No comments:

Post a Comment