THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Monday, December 16, 2013

The Garden Smells Like Farts

I have been spending as little time outside as possible these days. Right now there is about 3 inches of gloopey, wet snow covering everything and it's a little chilly....but even if it was nice outside I would still be holed up indoors doing anything but Christmas cards. Anyways, every time I do go out to take care of the ducks I've been smelling an abnormally bad smell. Over the last month the smell has been getting worse and worse. Usually I just think, "Wow, something out here smells bad, what could it possibly be?" as I hurry about my business and get back indoors as soon as possible.  Well, it finally got so bad that I became convinced something must have died out there. I investigated thoroughly yesterday, and after searching and searching I figured out what it is....


It's the Brassica crops I still have in the ground! The Broccoli....


The Brussels Sprouts....


And the Kale....


They are all still growing.

Even the cabbages I pulled up a month ago and tossed to the side are still "alive" laying on the ground....



I don't normally have this much stuff still in the ground by this time of year, so it came as sort of a surprise to me that they put out so much odor.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment