THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Friday, November 1, 2013

A Beautiful Mess

As the years go by, my garden beds are getting more organized and tidy.....but it seems like the undeveloped and neglected corners are just getting messier! The funny thing is.....I noticed this year that my favorite spots in the garden are the "messy" ones.  Places like.....

The herb garden that went to seed and got taken over by Poppies....


That narrow spot at the top of the pea row where you have to duck under the Apple Tree to get to the other side....


The arbor that's overgrown with Ivy. (Now that the deer haven't been eating it it's taking off!)


The entrance to the duck hutch where the Honeysuckle and Wild Phlox are out of control....


And the weedy perennial patch where the metal chickens like to hang out, are a few places that come to mind.


And here and there, over the organized rows and fences, there are brown, ragged, Sunflower plants leaning over because they are so heavy and full of seeds that are ready to eat!


It seems that the little tweety birds like these wild spots to.

So....although I will continue to build straight and tidy rows for maximum production of vegetables, I think I'll always leave a few spots in my garden untidy and unorganized..... because a beautiful mess seems to feed my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment