THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Eggs

This morning when I let the ducks out, the females urgently made a bee-line for the seashell sand pile. And then they just gobbled it and gobbled it!  When I went in to collect the eggs and I could see why....


16 eggs!!!  14 females and they layed 16 eggs!  That's a record for me.

Here are some interesting egg photos from this week....
Look how small this egg is, and how rough it is. It will probably take a hammer to open it!

we call these tiny eggs duck farts

If you are a squeamish person this next photo might gross you out....but someone bleeds almost every day when she lays her egg...


Poor thing!

Overall I've been real happy with the egg quality this year- they are much bigger than they were last year.

This morning we woke up to about 3 inches of snow on the ground.......Yuck! It made for a really muddy day working outside.  It didn't seem to bother the ducks, however!


When I dug a trench to direct some of the water away from the work area they had to mess around it that too!



Silly ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment