THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Friday, February 6, 2015

Somebody's Been Watching Food Network Again!

Well, we still don't have TV reception here at our house, but when we travel or visit other folks, my favorite show to watch is, "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Recently I got to thinking that maybe the episodes were on disc, and sure enough....they are! So I ordered Seasons 1, 2 and 3.  Hey, everyone benefits...and it's tax deductible too! I put one of the pie recipes to use today.....


I was taking lunch to my good friend Yvonne's house. She is a very busy gal, with 4 girls in 4 different schools, so I figured that the only way I was going to see her is if I brought a meal to her. It was sort of a Farm to Table kind of lunch, with Winter Kale salad.....



And Grilled Black Cod Tips with pan fried Fingerling Potatoes.


And dessert was Apple Pie. I used the Apple Pie filling that I canned last year, but removed most of the liquid first and set it aside.


Then I rolled out the pie crust extra large and put it in the pan and piled in as much Apple Pie Filling as I could, and stuck a cube of butter in the top.


The last step was to pull all the extra crust up to the top and press it tightly and firmly into place around the butter cube.


And pop it in the oven.


It fell a little bit, but it was still huge and beautiful (in a rustic sort of way).  Evonne loved it!



We heated up the extra liquid that had been removed earlier, and served over the top of the pie and icecream.


And fun was had by all!

1 comment:

  1. That pie looks incredible!! David loves pie but I don't love making it...maybe if I canned apple pie filling I would make more pies?

    ReplyDelete