THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Small Step Forward

It's time to start up the garden again! First things first, clean and organize the sunroom.....


Oh dear. That's a daunting task. It's hard to believe that it looked like this just a few short months ago....


There were still a few tomatoes hanging on for dear life. I hadn't watered those plants for at least 2 months....amazing!


The winter was so mild here that the Rosemary survived.


The Basil, on the other hand, did not. No surprise there.


Okay, so I didn't clean the whole sunroom....just made enough space to get the February seeds started. Tomatoes, Celery, Leeks, Cilantro, and Green (Bunching) Onions.


Next, I bleached all the trays, lids, and pots.



Ahhhh.....nothing says, "Spring is here and full of so many possibilities", like a fresh box of popsicle stitcks!


Almost all of the Tomatoes I am starting are for Penny out at Garden Ventures. You can be looking for those to hit the shelves in May or June.


This year I'm starting something new that I read about in one of Elliot Coleman's books. I'm growing Bunching Onions....their called "Green Onions" in the grocery store.


He plants the seeds 10 to a soil block.


Looks crowded, doesn't it?

They grow in a bunch, you transplant them out in a bunch, harvest them in a bunch, rinse them in a bunch, and then sell them in a bunch!


I'll let you know if it works.


That's all for now....the rest of the seeds will get planting in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment