THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring, Spring, come out wherever you are


Spring is trying to arrive, but it is still a little cold.  Parts of the garden are still covered with about a foot of snow, but other parts are now bare.  I see garlic, rhubarb and flower bulbs peeking up through the ground which gives me hope.

This is the time of year that I usually spend lots of time on the beach collecting seaweed, sand, starfish and crushed seashells, but it's too cold yet.  Nature is so amazing....virtually everything the garden needs is here on the beach, free for the taking.  You need to be willing to spend hours schlepping heavy buckets to the truck though!  It is SO worth it.  I always say that the success of a garden here in Sitka is in direct proportion to the amount of seaweed that you haul in.  Also, every year my beds get better and better.  I think the lime, bonemeal, and nutrients build up over time and drainage improves with added sand.  I have high hopes for the coming season!


Even though it is too cold to garden outside there is plenty going on inside.  Celery, tomatoes, cabbage, leeks, broccoli, parsley, strawberry spinach, basil and kohlrabi are all up in the sunroom, but there is more work to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment