THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Bonnie Sue's Journal

Well, I'm hot and heavy into making Christmas cards right now, and I think that they're coming along nicely. There's a good chance they will be done and on their way by the end of this week!! Here's a sneak peek at what the theme is this year....


Okay....that's all I can show you for now. It's all top-secret, hush-hush until Christmas!

Right now, I want to talk about my good friend, Bonnie Sue. Here she is, she's the one on the right, in my garden a couple of years ago, laughing at something I said that must have been really funny.....


Bonnie Sue and I go way back....about 20 years....to when our kids were little and we were homeschooling. She is a writer, and one of the most creative people I know. When my first crochet patterns were published she sent me a really nice gift....this great picture book about a little girl that knits to make the world a more beautiful place.


I just LOVE it! So, when I heard recently that she was going to have her first novel published, I wanted to send her something nice too.

First, I took a paint-by-number kit out with me on the boat and worked on it when I wasn't busy cooking. Then I found an appropriate quote and decoupaged it onto the surface, cut the painting in half, and bound the two halves together with misc. papers to make a blank journal.

Front

Back

I think it turned out great, and she loved it!

I've become very obsessed with the iconic paint-by-number look. There are so many cool things you can make out of them! The problem is that the vintage style kits are hard to find. One of the bear hunters on the boat this Fall took an interest in what I was doing, and said that she would look around for some for me when she got home, and sure enough.....all of a sudden one day.... a box arrived in the mail for me.....


Wasn't that nice? Thanks, Debbie! Now I've got some painting to do!

1 comment: