THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sticking A Toe In The Water

If finally stopped raining, and I started to feel like I really should go outside and start working in the garden. But I was afraid!  It's cold out there....and it might rain....and I'd rather stay inside on the couch and crochet. Besides, I'm out of shape, it might hurt! But I made myself go out there. I picked a project that wasn't too strenuous and got started. Sort of "testing the waters", so to speak. See if I'm able to still garden.

I decided to work on the net fence that surrounds the garden. The leaves from all the neighbor trees have a tendency to blow into our yard and collect at the base of the net....and if I don' t clean them out they eventually turn into dirt. Since the base of the net is in the gravel driveway this is not a good thing.

 BEFORE:

AFTER:

I didn't die. And the sun even came out for a few minutes!


This particular job need to be done twice a year. Fortunately, all of the problem trees were cut down this winter, so maybe it won't be a problem anymore? That would be nice....not to mention all the additional sunlight the garden will now be getting now that they're gone. Cutting a tree down makes all the difference!
While I was working on the fence I also repaired some erosion damage in the driveway from the last monsoon.

Here's a funny one on me. I had to quit to run into town to meet some gals for lunch, so I ran inside to take off my raingear and grab a few things to take with me. At the last second I decided I should look in the mirror to make sure I looked half decent.....and burst out laughing....


Note to self: Always look in the mirror before heading into town!


Now THAT'S funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment