THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sunflower Seeds

The Sunflowers are doing so well this year....


I think all of the beautiful, sunny Summer we had this year had something to do with it. But, you know, they usually do pretty good for me on the rainy years too.


Many people think that it's not possible to grow Sunflowers for seeds in Sitka, but it is definitely possible....The first thing you have to do is select varieties to grow that are bred to produce edible seeds. Not all of them are....some are bred just to look pretty. I have some varieties that produce large heads...


And some varieties that produce small heads....



The outside round of seeds mature first and the inside round of seeds mature last. It's very hard to wait until all of the seeds have matured. I just HAD to pick a few early....they are SO good!



 Incidentally, we found out this Summer that the immature seeds have tender hulls and taste delicious if you eat them hull and all!  Who knew?

So, plant some Sunflowers next year!  Look how tall this one got....I figure it's about 12 feet tall...


It's a Sunflower tree!


1 comment:

  1. ...looks like you still have lots of peas!

    ReplyDelete