THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

10 Random Tidbits

1. Tomorrow I'm heading to Oregon for  a week to spend some time with my family. Levi is going to run the garden......so take it easy on him people!

2. Look at this amazing Purple Cauliflower!



It got picked.

3. Speaking of getting picked....The Rhubarb was huge this year and there was so much of it that I was worried I wouldn't be able to sell it all. Here is what the Rhubarb looked like this Spring....


And here is what it looks like now....


Poor Marmalade is feeling a little bit exposed now.

4. People bring me the nicest things.....I've received samples of  food that's been made from things they have picked at the garden....Lemon Sorrel/Strawberry Sorbet, Spinach Salad, Incredible Spring Rolls, Rhubarb Compote, to mention a few. One lady even brought me some Chicken Vegetable soup when she found out I was sick a couple of years ago!! They keep me supplied with pots, grocery bags, egg cartons and Berry crates. And today....some of my favorite customers brought me this fabulous grocery bag keeper!


And I really needed one! Wasn't that nice?

5. I'm almost done harvesting Garlic...


I'm sad it's almost over, but I'm thrilled that for the first time I'll have enough to eat, enough to replant, and enough to sell!



6. This happened just down the road from us....


That's why Lucy barks.

7. Levi can't stop making Crepes and it's putting a serious dent in my egg supply....




If you don't know Levi you probably find these photos disturbing...if you do know Levi you probably don't find them unusual at all.

8. I specifically planted Sunflowers in the garden this year to use in gift basket flower arrangements....but they are so pretty I can't bring myself to cut them.


The only solution I can see is to be sure to plant more next year.

9. This was my lunch today....


Brown Rice, Fried Rockfish, Garlic Scape Pesto and Spinach leaves on which I drizzled a Balsamic Vinegar Glaze.....it was delicious.

10. Sitka is not good Bean growing country, but every year I beat my head against the wall and plant some more. I just can't resist fresh green beans. This year it has been so warm that the Green Bean plants are in really good shape! Behold, the first Green Bean of the year....


What? Can't you see it? Oh it's there all right....just you wait....Green Beans this year, Baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment