THE U-Pick GARDEN will be closing August 20th. This will be the last year the garden will be open to the public. Next year I'll be operating as a CSA, supplying about 20 regular customers with weekly boxes. Thank you for your support over the last 8 years, but it's time to try something new.

To get a copy of my book, "How To Grow Vegetables In Sitka, Alaska" just give me a call....The books are $20 plus tax. If you live out of town and want me to mail you a copy, you can mail a check for $25.60 to:

Lori Adams
P O Box 6021
Sitka, Alaska
99835


Down To Earth U-Pick Garden is located at 2103 Sawmill Creek Road in Sitka, Alaska. It is open usually from mid-June through late August. Hours are Monday-Saturday 12:00 to 6:30. On Farmer's Market Saturdays I am not open until 2:00. Children are welcome but may not run through the garden or chase the ducks. If you have any questions you can contact me, Lori Adams, at 907-747-6108 or 907-738-2241. My email address is downtoearthupick@gmail.com

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Film And Food

This weekend the Sitka Conservation Society is putting on a food film festival and it has been so much fun....so inspiring! This morning I watched, "Ingredients," and this afternoon, "Two Angry Moms."
The one statistic quoted in both movies that impressed me was that US spends less per capita on food, and subsequently more on healthcare, than any of the other industrialized nations. While I realize that there is "spin" to every statistic, I still find it alarming. We really need to challenge ourselves to buy healthy food, even if it costs more. Cheaper is not better.

During the lunch break I ran home to help Levi. He invited a few friends over to make Mexican food and they wanted me to make the enchiladas. I stepped out of my car and two things hit me....the delicious smell of food and the loud Mexican music!

And there they were....hard at work!


Look at this beautiful pico de gallo that Levi made!


"The Earl of Lemongrab," and the dishes we painted in Mexico...


Making limeade...


 Ryan never lets me take a serious photo...






Hey, Celia....


 Beautiful, colorful, delicious, Mexican food!


A shot Levi took from behind his head.....?


It was an inspiring, flavorful day with interesting films, kids singing and dancing and cooking in the kitchen, and delicious food.....perfect!

2 comments:

  1. I miss the cook stove in the kitchen but can't wait to see the island/table. Is it bar height or regular table height? Is there storage space under it? Looks like there is. Evonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitchen island is the same height as the counter....we love it!

      Delete